Tuesday 2 March 2010

Business blogging? A few tips for beginners.


I've been asked to do a talk on blogging for Events For Business, on March 25th, so I've been doing some research into what other people think is good blogging practice. I know what I want to say, but it's always useful to see what is going on elsewhere - and there's an awful lot of advice out there. Not everyone says the same, and not all of the advice is good, but it's all fascinating.

Some writers cover what to say, while others tell you how often to post. I've even been sent an article on the various ways of making money if you have a blog - not by selling your own products, but by hosting advertising, surveys or videos for other companies or promoting their products directly. Not much use if you're already in business for yourself: I tried putting ads on my blog and got a host of other copywriters promoting themselves via my site. NOT what I'd had in mind!! I realise that from the reader's point of view it wasn't such a bad idea: if they're looking for copywriters and/or their blogs, where better to start? But it wasn't going to promote my business in quite the way I'd hoped.

So, anyway, you're going to start a blog for your business (and not have advertising on it). Here are a few pointers for beginners:

Who are you blogging for? In case you really aren't sure (and looking at some of the blogs out there, you aren't alone in that), you're writing for your clients, customers, investors and/or people interested in joining one of those categories. You're not writing for yourself. Sure, you'll be writing about the company, but don't make it sound like a company report. Blogs are for the interesting stuff that goes on, the insider's view, news, chit-chat (but not scurrilous gossip - the laws of libel still apply!).

How often should you post? As often as you've got something to say and as often as your readers can cope with. I wouldn't post every day - I don't think my readers (either of them) want to be inundated with stuff. There's so much info and guff floating around the ether already, no-one's got time to read everything. I subscribe to loads of copywriting-related e-zines and I only skip through them, unless they're saying something really eye-grabbing.

What should you say? Whatever you need to say. If you're just posting for the sake of it, save your time and your readers'. They're already suffering from information over-load, they don't need more "stuff" cluttering up their time. Say something useful to them, something that will make them want to know more about you, your company and your products/services. And for heaven's sake make it interesting, well written and easy to read. Amusing, even. Anything but dull.

And if you want to come to the seminar - the other half of which covers how to use social networking for your business - get in touch with me at greatcopy@btinternet.com for more details. It's an investment of just £35 and should pay for itself in (free) marketing within months if not weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do feel free to comment, agree, disagree, correct if necessary, let off steam... provided it's relevant!